Best Pet Foods – Veterinary Clinic Miami – Paws and Claws Medical Center
Is It The Brand What Really Matters?
Which are the Best Pet Foods?
Very frequently, veterinarians come across pet owners saying that after knowing that their pets have food sensitivity, they went to the food store and got their dog an “expensive food”, one that does not have any by-products and that is a great quality one.
What is expensive pet food without by-products?
Basically, animal by-products are what’s left of a slaughtered animal after the edible parts have been removed. They include the waste of meat processing not intended for human consumption.
- Undeveloped eggs
But there are exceptions…
Giblets (livers, hearts, gizzards and necks) as well as other organs can be sold as edible meats or used generically to make:
- hot dogs,
- bologna and
Here are some points that everybody should consider before buying any pet food.
1. What ingredients are in listed in the ingredients of the food your thinking of buying.
2. What exactly is causing my pet the, food related, sensitivity.
3. Do I give my pet anything else, treats, table scraps, besides his/her diet?.
4. Is it real that all those by-products are that bad for my pet? Do I eat some by-products as well?
Based upon the source of their raw materials, there are two ways to identify by-product meals.
- Named by-product meals (Chicken, turkey, poultry, beef, etc.)
- Generic by-product meals (generic by-product meals do not identify the source of the meat.)
The bottom line:
Watch what you spend, never buy any dog food containing anonymous animal by-products sourced from materials a manufacturer refuses to clearly identify.
Do not let any commercial deceive you into believing that by-products are going to harm your pet.
At the end, even us, humans, eat them on a regular basis.